GREENSBORO – UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) and its UnitedHealthcare and Optum businesses are donating $1.5 million to help residents of North Carolina and South Carolina recover and rebuild from Hurricane Florence. UnitedHealth Group will donate $1 million to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund and $500,000 to the One SC Fund. Individuals impacted by the storm who need support can visit rebuild.nc.gov or dial 2-1-1 to request assistance.
The company also announced it will match dollar-for-dollar donations employees make to charities supporting recovery efforts.
“We are deeply concerned for the people affected by Hurricane Florence, and we are committed to supporting local communities in the Carolinas as they recover and rebuild,” said David S. Wichmann, chief executive officer, UnitedHealth Group. “We are also taking action to ensure the people we serve have easy access to the care they need, and have worked to ensure the safety and well-being of our colleagues in the region.”
In addition to financial support for the affected communities, UnitedHealth Group will mobilize clinical and care delivery assets to help provide access to care through:
· Deployment of Mobile Clinics: UnitedHealthcare is partnering with Matrix Medical Network to deploy mobile clinics to provide health care directly to people living in areas affected by Hurricane Florence. The mobile clinics, which will be staffed by UnitedHealthcare and other local clinicians, will be deployed throughout areas affected by the hurricane and other areas determined by needs in consultation with local public health officials.
· Emergency Kit and Prescription Drug Donations: OptumRx will work with Healthcare Ready to supply emergency kits and prescription drug donations to residents affected by Hurricane Florence in the Carolinas.
· Free Emotional-Support Help Line: Optum is offering a free emotional-support help line to people affected by the hurricane. The toll-free number, 866-342-6892, will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary. The service is free of charge and open to anyone. Callers may also receive referrals to community resources. Along with the toll-free help line, emotional-support resources and information are available online at www.liveandworkwell.com.
· Help Finding a Network Care Provider, Early Refills: Plan participants who need help finding a care provider in the UnitedHealthcare network or obtaining early prescription refills can call customer care at the number located on the back of their medical ID cards.
· For plan participants who may have misplaced their medical ID cards, call 866-633-2446, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. (in the local time zone), Monday through Friday. People enrolled in Medicaid, employer-sponsored and individual health plans (except Medicare) who have a smartphone can download the free Health4Me app, which provides instant access to their ID card, network care providers, their personal health benefits and more. The Health4Me app is available as a free download at the Apple iTunes App Store Opens a new window and the Android Market on Google Play Opens a new window.
· Virtual Visits: During significant weather events, patients are often unable to access health care due to road closures, flooding or office closures. UnitedHealthcare’s Virtual Visit options let members access a virtual doctor visit through AmWell or Doctor On Demand and then see and speak to a doctor using their mobile device or computer. During the virtual visit, members can obtain a diagnosis and, if appropriate, a prescription that can be sent to their pharmacy.
o AmWell is offering free Virtual Visits for residents of SC and NC due to Hurricane Florence. Even if you have evacuated the area, you can access a Virtual Visit using your smartphone. Visits will be covered through 9/27. Users are required to register via AmWell. If you have questions, contact AmWell member support team at 1-855-818-DOCS (3627).
o Doctor On Demand is offering a promotion covering the cost of a doctor visit. Download the Doctor On Demand app here. For help, contact Doctor On Demand’s member support team at (800) 997-6196. Use code FLORENCE2018 to receive a fully covered MD visit.