Last updated: October 03. 2013 9:47PM - 1281 Views
Corbin Ensminger Sports editor

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

LAURINBURG — Kytel Collins-Jackson scored two second-half goals to save Scotland after they had given up three goals within the span of a minute to Whiteville Thursday.

The Scots looked to be on their way to their first consecutive win of the season after taking a 3-0 lead into the halftime break. Scotland had defeated Purnell Swett 5-1 Wednesday. However, Whiteville roared back, scoring three goals in a minute to tie the game 10 minutes into the second half. The visitors took the game over in the opening part of the half, dominating possession and making Scotland look rattled.

Scotland managed to regain its composure after Whiteville tied the game, and the teams traded scoring chances. Then, with 11 minutes to go in the game, Collins-Jackson knocked the ball past Whiteville’s keeper and into the net.

“Victor (Still) gave me a nice pass through the middle, (Killough) dummied it and I got that first one,” Collins-Jackson said.

Then it was Scotland’s turn for quick goals. Ninety seconds after putting his team ahead, Collins-Jackson took the pressure off of Scotland’s defense by blasting another ball into the net, hauling a pass in from a breakaway.

Killough added a sixth goal for Scotland with minutes left in the game. It was his second of the night, as he, Victor Still and Richie Martinez each scored in the first half for Scotland.

Scotland coach Danny Gallagher said Whiteville came out with more energy to start the second half.

“We tried to make some changes to start the half. It’s hard to get out there after 40 minutes on the bench and get that game intensity,” Gallagher said. “The first half they knocked the ball around really well and were composed. Whiteville came out with a huge energy in the second half and it was hard to catch that energy. Luckily we were able to make some adjustments back to what we had been doing and regain possession of the ball.”

It was the first time this year that Scotland has won back-to-back games. Gallagher said he was pleased that his team did not give up after Whiteville’s rapid scoring.

“It would’ve been very easy for them to get upset and frustrated and put their heads down and maybe end up losing the game. I was really proud of the guys for maintaining their composure and doing what they needed to do to organize and make sure we got the win,” Gallagher said.

The Scots improve to 3-11 overall and 2-5 in the conference with the win. Their next two games are on the road, at Pinecrest on Oct. 7 and at Hoke on Oct. 9. They will play their next home game on Oct. 14 against Lumberton.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Laurinburg Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com