SAU campaigners thanked


Volunteers urged to do more

Staff report



Courtesy photo Author Art Chansky reading from his new book “Game Changers.”


Courtesy photo New co-chairs for the Laurinburg Area Campaign Ann and Charles Todd.


LAURINBURG — Volunteers of the most recent Laurinburg Area Campaign for St. Andrews University raised more than $500,000.

This year’s set of volunteers were challenged to exceed that lofty mark.

“We worked really hard to meet our goal and hope the new group beat us by a lot this year,” said Beacham McDougald, who served as a co-chair with his wife, Lynn, for the Laurinburg Area Campaign for the the 2015-2016 academic year.

McDougald’s challenged came during a recent reception for Tower Club members, an annual event for donors who give $1,000 or more to the St. Andrews Annual Fund. The event, usually held in the fall, was postponed due to Hurricane Matthew. Special recognition was given to the Laurinburg Area Campaign volunteer leadership who raised $506,949 for St. Andrews from the local community during

The event, usually held in the fall, was postponed due to Hurricane Matthew. Special recognition was given to the Laurinburg Area Campaign volunteer leadership who raised $506,949 for St. Andrews from the local community during

The McDougalds credit the accomplishment to the key volunteers, Wayne and Debbie Hobbs, Ken Nichols, Ann Todd, Carol Whitehead, Richard Massey, Emily Womble, Lee Howell, and Mac Doubles.

Guest speaker for the event was Art Chansky, author and sportswriter who has covered basketball on Tobacco Road for more than thirty years. He read from his new book “Game Changers” revealing the controversy surrounding Dean Smith’s recruitment of the first African-American basketball player at UNC from the Laurinburg Institute, Charlie Scott.

Chansky held a book signing and offered one-on-one discussions from his lifetime of knowledge of UNC basketball. Books are still available in the bookstore on campus.

Afterward, the 60 Tower Club members in attendance enjoyed hors d’oeuvres in the Main Belk Room to background music by Sean Moore, professor of music at St. Andrews, on a donated grand piano by two new community and Tower Club members.

More than 200 donors participated in the Laurinburg Area Campaign. The monies raised go toward the St. Andrews Annual Fund which affects every corner of the campus. The fund benefits students with financial aid and scholarships, campus improvements, faculty and staff support as well as new technology upgrades.

St. Andrews President Paul Baldasare thanked those in attendance and reminded them that tuition, room and board only covers 80 percent of the cost of educating a student, leaving 20 percent that must come from fundraising efforts.

He also presented the McDougalds with an honorary St. Andrews chair with an engraved plaque acknowledging their leadership in the successful Laurinburg Area Campaign.

Charles and Ann Todd were announced as the new co-chairs for the 2016-2017 Laurinburg Area Campaign.

“It means a lot to me to have an alumna in a leadership role with an incredibly supportive husband who believes deeply in St. Andrews,” said Baldasare.

Ann Todd, a graduate of St. Andrews, recognizes that “the community has always been so supportive of St. Andrews,” remembering those who fought to bring St. Andrews to Laurinburg.

“There are many things to enjoy here and in the fall we can come enjoy football games,” Ann Todd said.

Courtesy photo Author Art Chansky reading from his new book “Game Changers.”
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/web1_author-IMG_3265.jpgCourtesy photo Author Art Chansky reading from his new book “Game Changers.”

Courtesy photo New co-chairs for the Laurinburg Area Campaign Ann and Charles Todd.
http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/web1_author-IMG_3312.jpgCourtesy photo New co-chairs for the Laurinburg Area Campaign Ann and Charles Todd.
Volunteers urged to do more

Staff report

comments powered by Disqus