Disabled Wagram man killed in house fire


By Beth Lawrence - blawrence@civitasmedia.com



WAGRAM – An elderly disabled man is died as a result of an electrical fire that occurred early Wednesday morning, according to the Scotland County Sheriff’s Office.

Willie James Gibson was trapped in the home at 27800 Hillcreek Road, said Maj. Ruben Castellon, chief detective with the sheriff’s office.

“With Willie being disabled from issues with his legs he could not get out,” Castellon said. “It appears from the investigation that he attempted to get out, smoke consumed him, and he passed out. He was located behind the door to his bedroom.”

A neighbor made the call to 911 at 2:44 a.m., and firefighters from responded to the scene.

“The fire started in the kitchen area in a wall behind the stove,” Castellon said.

Three other residents of the home escaped. The residents appear to be family members of Gibson, but Castellon was not certain as to their relationship.

The family had been in the home for 30 years, according to Castellon.

The home was a total loss and the Red Cross of Sctland County has responded to assist the survivors.

By Beth Lawrence

blawrence@civitasmedia.com

Reach Beth Lawrence 910-506-3169

Reach Beth Lawrence 910-506-3169

comments powered by Disqus